Sophie The Giraffe | Sophie la Girafe
Made from 100% natural rubber derived from the sap of the Hevea tree. Natural Rubber is soft, safe & non-toxic for baby to teethe & chew. Lightweight & easy to grasp for tiny hands. Painted with non-toxic, food-grade paints. Stimulating to baby’s senses with her soft colors & gentle squeak. Bumpy head helps soothe sore, teething gums. Sophie the Giraffe is Phthalate-Free with No Vinyl (no-PVC!) 17cm Tall (7″) Suitable from 0 months + Comes in a gift box
Sophie The Giraffe | Sophie la Girafe
Sophie la girafe® is a 100% natural teething toy produced by Vulli toys that is loved by children worldwide. Sophie La Girafe is made in France from the Hevea tree and is now available in New Zealand thanks to SUCAH the official New Zealand Distributor. Born in France in 1961, Sophie the Giraffe has been part of babies’ lives for 50 years. Each Sophie the Giraffe made today, still requires a total of 14 manual operations. Sophie the Giraffe is made of 100% natural rubber from the Hevea tree giving her a pleasant distinctive smell. She is painted with natural food paint. Sophie is also BPA and phthalates free. Sophie the Giraffe is specifically designed to stimulate all five of a baby’s senses. She is slender, flexible and soft, your baby can squeeze and chew her in complete safety. Lovable and amusing, she makes a happy sound when squeezed which stimulates hearing and helps your baby to understand the link between cause and effect. She is perfect for soothing sore gums when teething. Your child will love Sophie!
About Sophie la Girafe®
Sophie la girafe is a 100% natural teething toy produced by Vulli toys that is loved by children worldwide. Sophie la Girafe is made in France from the Hevea tree and is now available in New Zealand thanks to SUCAH the official New Zealand Distributor. Born in France in 1961, Sophie la girafe has been part of babies’ lives for 50 years. Each Sophie made today, still requires a total of 14 manual operations. Sophie la girafe is made of 100% natural rubber from the Hevea tree giving her a pleasant distinctive smell. She is painted with natural food paint. Sophie is also BPA and phthalates free. Sophie the Giraffe is specifically designed to stimulate all five of a baby’s senses. She is slender, flexible and soft, your baby can squeeze and chew her in complete safety. Lovable and amusing, she makes a happy sound when squeezed which stimulates hearing and helps your baby to understand the link between cause and effect. She is perfect for soothing sore gums when teething. Your child will love Sophie!
Frequently asked questions
- Why is Sophie so popular? We believe that she is so popular due to her many special features, designed to intrigue your baby. Sophie has been carefully designed to stimulate all of your babies developing senses; touch, taste, hearing, sight and smell. Because at three months of age your baby can only see sharp contrasts in colour, Sophie has been designed with dark brown spots. This not only provides visual stimulation for your baby but also makes Sophie the Giraffe recognizable bysight as a comfortingly, familiar object. Because Sophie la girafe is made out of all natural plant-based latex and hand-painted with natural food paint, she is safe for your baby to taste and chew on. The smell of the natural rubber will help baby identify the teething toy. The nobbly ears and horns are great for soothing your baby’s aching gums. They are nice and soft and therefore safe for your baby. Sophie also has the long legs and neck typical of any Giraffe and these can be great for your baby to chew on to get too hard to reach molars. Sophie’s long legs and neck also make great places for your baby to grip the popular teething toy – even when they only have tiny hands! Her smooth latex skin is soft to touch and also becomes a reassuring sensation for your baby. Sophie is fitted with a squeaker that your baby will hear when she is squeezed. This provides further sensory stimulation in the form of sound. As your baby comes to understand that the squeaking noise is the result of squeezing their Sophie la girafe, they will also begin to learn the basics of cause and effect. So you can see that Sophie la girafe is not just a great teething toy for your baby, but with her many special features is also an excellent early learning aid.
- What Age Is Sophie Suitable For? New Moms often ask what age is Sophie la girafe teether suitable for? According to the manufacturer of the popular teething toy, Vulli, Sophie la girafe is suitable from birth. Of course, your baby is not likely to have a lot of interest in the teether for the first few months of his or her life. It is however safe to use from birth, hence the manufacturers recommendations. Most parents find that as their infant begins to discover their own hands and starts putting them in their mouth (at around 3 months of age), they will begin enjoying Sophie la girafe. It is this 3 month mark that Vulli recommends as most suitable for the baby to start using Sophie. They say at this age Sophie is excellent to stimulate each of your babies yet to be fully developed senses – touch, sight, sound, taste and smell. So 3 months is really the best age to introduce your baby to Sophie but how old is too old for the teething toy? Well, this is really a matter of personal preference, and the preference of your child. Some parents report that their baby gradually became uninterested in Sophie (usually after growing all their teeth) while other parents found their child still played with Sophie as a toddler but didn’t actually chew on her as much.
- How to Clean Sophie the Giraffe? Parents are often concerned with how to clean Sophie la girafe. Regular cleaning of your infants toys, particularly any teething toys, is important to help prevent spread of germs. When it comes to cleaning your Sophie, the best option is to wipe her down with a soapy cloth Avoid completely submerging Sophie in water, putting her in the dishwasher or in a sterilizer. Water will get inside Sophie through the hole in place for her squeaker, often stopping the squeaker from working. A regular and thorough wipe with a warm soapy cloth is all that is needed to keep the teether clean. The video below demonstrates how to clean Sophie la girafe.
Sophie la Girafe® and the 5 senses....
Sophie la Girafe is a baby's first toy, stimulating each of their 5 sense from the age of 3 months!
- The Sight: At the age of 3 months, a baby's eyesight is still limited and he can only make out high contrasts. The dark and contrasting attention-catching spots all over Sophie la girafe's body provide visual stimulation and she soon becomes a familiar and reassuring object for baby.
- Hearing: Sophie's squeaker keeps baby amused and stimulates his hearing. To begin with, the funny sound Sophie makes when she is squeezed helps to stimulate baby's hearing, and then later, helps him to understand the link between cause and effect.
- Taste: Sophie la girafe is made of 100% natural rubber and food paint, and is completely safe to chew, just like a feeding bottle teat. Her soft texture and numerous chewable parts (ears, horns, legs), make her perfect for soothing baby's sore gums during teething.
- Touch: Touch is the first means a baby has of communicating with the outside world. Sophie la girafe's soft feel, like baby's mother's skin, stimulates physiological and emotional responses that soothe baby and promote healthy growth and well-being.
- Easy to grip: Sophie la girafe's shape and 18cm size are perfect for baby's small hands. She is very light, and her long legs and neck are easy for baby to grip, even from his earliest days.
- Smell: The singular scent of natural rubber from the Hevea tree makes Sophie la girafe very special and easy for your child to identify amid all his other toys
Once upon a time....
... the simple story of a girafe born on May 25th in the year 1961, Saint Sophie's day.
In those days, the only animal toys available were farm animals and pet figures ...
That is why one day in France, a certain Monsieur RAMPEAU, who was an expert in transforming the latex from the HEVEA tree using the rotational moulding of rubber as a toy-making concept, came up with the idea of designing a giraffe. Such an exotic wildlife figure would be a first on the market, and its size and shape would be ideal for a baby's small hand to grasp.
Sophie la girafe, who looked exactly the same than she does today, went into production on a Thursday, May 25th, hence her name.
She was an immediate success. Young parents immediately recognized that she was a must for their baby... When the first signs of teething appear, Sophie la girafe helps babies stop crying!
By simple word of mouth, the little giraffe's fame spread. From then on around the world, generations upon generations of children were to love hearing Sophie squeak whenever they pressed her tummy or head!
VULLI, a company based in Rumilly in the Haute-Savoie region of France has continued to keep the highly guarded secret of how this wonder toy is made.
To this day, Sophie la girafe is still "traditionally" produced, a process that involves more than 14 manual operations.
She is made from 100% natural rubber derived from the latex of the Hevea tree.
Vulli and Sophie's values....
The Vulli company is very conscious of ecology and sustainable development issues. It is though our products and internal policies that we show our commitment.
The Vulli products and sustainable development
Sophie la girafe® is made of 100% natural rubber. The latter comes from the Hevea tree growing in sustainable forests.
The development of the Klorofil line is focused on environmental protection. Through the toys’ playful dimension, the child's awareness of concepts such as the ecology, the renewable energies or the protection of endangered species is increased
The Vulli company and sustainable development
We put great emphasis into reducing our environmental impact and our company has implemented many initiatives to this effect:
- The plaster used for the manufacturing of Sophie la girafe® is sorted separately and recycled in the plasterer industry.
- The waste (plastics, scrap metal, boxes and other) are set aside for recycling.
- A study on the recycling of all rubber waste is currently being conducted. It is important to acknowledge that during the past three years, the quantity of waste has been divided by four.
- Our employees particularly care about this cause.
- In partnership with the city of Rumilly and in order to preserve biodiversity, a hedge of fifteen different species was planted and beehives was installed in 2015.
- Thanks to everyone’s investment, the company won, in 2014, the Trophée du Développement Durable Carrefour.
- As a French corporation who is committed to its territory, Vulli employs and establishes partnerships with local stakeholders in order to contribute to the local economy. We have created "tutorials" aimed at training the youth and to maintain the skills and employment of established workers.
Find out why we do what we do on our ‘About Us’ page www.smartypants.co.nz/about/
SmartyPants offers same day order processing. Orders placed before 11am will usually be shipped out that day, orders placed after 11am will be shipped on the next business day.
'Smart Stuff for Smart kids' - SmartyPants offers stylish, affordable kid's clothing, costumes and accessories.
'Just a little bit different'